Roofing shovels are a godsend when you are working on a large roofing project. Many types of roofing materials can be pried up and ripped off by hand, but a roofing shovel makes the process way easier and more efficient by tearing up larger sections of the roof at a time. We’ve found some of the best roofing shovels for your budget to choose from.
The Benefits of a Roofing Shovel
There are many benefits to using a roofing shovel over other methods. First of all, it can be used with one hand while the other is holding onto an anchor point for safety. This lets you tear up more area at once than if you had two hands on another tool like a crowbar. Second, larger sections of material will come up with one pull of the shovel, which saves you time and energy over other methods. Finally, roofing shovels are safer than crowbars because they don’t leave any sharp edges to cause injury while working on your hands and knees or using a ladder.
- Less physically demanding
- Less chance of causing damage
- Pull up more and larger rows of shingles
- Save tons of time and energy
- Reduces risk of injury
The Best Roofing Shovels for Every Budget
Some things to consider before purchasing a roofing shovel include its composition, materials, size, comfort, and customer reviews. To help in your search, here are some of the best roofing shovels on the market for homeowners and professionals alike.
Guardian Shingle Removal Tool 4.4 out of 5 Stars (246 Ratings)
The Guardian brand shingle removal tool comes in both a 22.5 and 54-inch version. This roofing shovel is a lightweight option that is very versatile and built to last. Its heat-tempered work edge and durable all-steel construction will work on any roof pitch or surface. In addition, its ergonomic design allows for reduced effort when lifting shingles, and ensures safe, injury-free shingle removal.
- All steel construction
- Heat tempered work edge withstands tough jobs
- Lightweight and ergonomic
- Comfortable vinyl grip
- Pulls up to 16D nails
“The Beast” Shingle Remover Tool 4.1 out of 5 Stars (73 Ratings)
Removing shingles is a difficult task, but now there’s a tool that can do the job. The Beast shingle remover from Malco makes removing heavy loads of shingles and pulling nails a breeze. The Beast effortlessly removes hefty amounts of shingles in one motion while also extracting nails in one movement. Long-handled versions are adjustable to suit any pitch or roofing material—adjust it to your needs!
- Works tough jobs with ease
- Lifts off heavy loads of shingles and pull nails out in one swift motion
- Handle any roof pitch with the adjustable head
- Lightweight fiberglass handle giving user exceptional balance and control
- Made with ten gauge tempered steel blades (easily replaceable)
Bully Tools 10-Gauge ProShingle 4.3 out of 5 Stars (178 Ratings)
The Bully Tools 10 Gauge ProShingle shingle puller is made of extra-thick 10 gauge steel that quickly penetrates roofing tiles. The triple-walled glass handle is lightweight and easy to manage while also resisting breaking. For enhanced comfort and durability, the D-Grips were redesigned just for you.
- Manufacturer in the U.S.A.
- Comes with a Limited Lifetime Warranty
- Constructed of extra durable 10 gauge steel
- Reinforced fiberglass handle with triple wall construction
- Top-tier commercial-grade materials and design
Truper 31343 Tru Pro Roofer Spade 4.7 out of 5 Stars (128 Ratings)
The Truper Tru Pro roofer spade comes in multiple sizes and styles, so you can get the exact one needed to get the job done. Sizes include 28, 29, 30, 32, 45, and the extra-long 48-inch model with a long handle to manage more strenuous jobs and heavy loads of shingles. For the true DIY homeowner, they also sell drain spades and garden spade styles in addition to this durable roofing spade.
- 48-inch professional grade premium white ash handle
- Extra thick and heavy-duty 14 gauge steel blade
- Natural white ash handles provide the perfect ratio of flexibility and resistance.
- Riveted extended socket so your spade and handle will never come loose
- One of the top choices for professionals
The Shingle Eater Roof Stripping Tool 4.7 out of 5 Stars (23 Ratings)
The Shingle Eater is the number 1 roof stripping tool in America—made for and by contractors. Since 1981 The Shingle Eater has been the choice tool for stripping shingles, and it has the most simple design: made of solid steel, has sharp, strong teeth, and an ergonomic handle. Over time the angle of the handle has been changed to be even more comfortable and better for the user. This tool is all-purpose and also works excellent on siding, gutters, ice, and snow.
- Decades of proven strength and durability
- The original patented roofing tool
- Long-lasting and extra strong teeth
- 10 general-purpose teeth for multiple jobs
- Lightweight design weighs just 7 lbs
- Ideal for multiple layers of shingles
If you are looking to do some large-scale roofing, a good roofing shovel is essential. They can tear up larger roof sections for removal and make it much easier than doing so by hand. We’ve found these five different models work great for any budget and allow varying degrees of durability or ease of use. Pair that with any of our other “best roofing tools,” and you’ll be set to get the job done quickly and safely.