If you decided to be a contractor my first advice for you will be: Prepare to study and invest in your continuous education.
Roofing and construction industry constantly change: new products, new codes, new methods to install roofing and building materials are always improving.
The first step to becoming a roofing or general contractor in most states is to take a roofing exam.
I recently took 2 Florida Exams: 1) Business and Finance and 2) Contractor exam and I wanted to share few tips to help you not to be afraid of these test and conquer them like a champion you are!
Roofing Construction & Estimating
- Roofing Construction & Estimating Book + eBook (PDF)
- Daniel Atcheson
- Publisher: Craftsman Book Co
- Edition no. 1 (04/09/1995)
Here are 10 tips to help you to pass any roofing test: How to Pass Roofing Contractor Exam?
- Do the test. Don’t let your wife or kids or partner take it, it is your job: do the test! You will learn something!
- Take a class. Especially if it is your first time.
- Buy books and at least learn how to navigate in them.
- Pay Extra or make your own bookmarks.
- Study by answering tests.
- Learn how to navigate index.
- Put your phone away! Phone is a distraction! If you are taking a test, or if you are studying, discipline yourself to put your phone away.
- Rest well and relax during the test. Don’t panic.
- Know your pace!!! Know your average time per question!
- Think about your diet. If the class is limited you will need every minute of it. Drinking lots of water, being hungry or eating too much stuff before can literally make you fail your test! Carbs will put you to sleep. Coffee will make you take too many breaks, etc.
Let me know what you think in comments below, and if you recently passed roofing exam what tips can you share? Would love to hear from you!