Your home’s roof is a vital piece of the puzzle when it comes to protecting your house’s interior, personal items, and of course, family. You want to find a sturdy yet stylish shingle to withstand storms and weathering for years to come (while still looking great).
So, what’s the best shingle option available in terms of quality and curb appeal? Although many reputable shingle brands are on the market offering attractive and affordable products, homeowners and roofers alike often turn to IKO for durable, trusted roofing materials.
While IKO offers a wide range of shingling products, we’re here to discuss the pros and cons of two specific shingle styles. Let’s see how IKO Dynasty vs. Cambridge lines of shingles stack up.
What Is IKO Anyway?
IKO is a Canadian-based roofing supply company founded in 1951 out of Calgary, offering an impressive line of industry-leading shingle products at affordable prices for just about any budget and project size. The internationally renowned roofing company manufactures multiple high-quality shingle collections, including the Cambridge and Dynasty lines we’ll discuss further below.
In the past, you were likely limited to a few shingle colors and styles from the same old shingle manufacturing companies. Still, these days, there are so many more products available from trusted brands like IKO to provide both value and protection to your home.
IKO offers the four following distinct types of asphalt shingles for residential homes and buildings:
- Traditional 3-tab shingles
- Architectural shingles
- Designer shingles
- Performance shingles
You might be wondering, what’s the difference between all of these types of shingles? IKO’s designer shingles replicate the look of expensive shingle styles like slate without the staggering price tag. Their performance and architectural shingles are manufactured using thicker, sturdier materials to stand up to high winds, heavy rains, and other significant weathering events.
Alternatively, if you’re on a tight budget, IKO still offers attractive and high-quality traditional shingle products at an affordable price. Your roofing contractor can help pick out the perfect shingle style to suit your budget and aesthetic preferences while improving your home’s protection, energy efficiency, curb appeal, and more.
Exploring IKO Shingles
Currently, the IKO Cambridge line of laminated architectural shingles reigns supreme as the most popular choice amongst homeowners and contractors. However, there are other options to consider based on a few factors, such as your budget, personal style, existing home architecture, and climate conditions in your location.
Examples of alternative IKO shingle lines to explore with your contractor include:
- Traditional shingles:
- Marathon Plus AR
- Architectural shingles:
- Cambridge Cool Colors
- Designer shingles:
- Crowne Slate
- Royal Estate
- Performance shingles:
Still not sure what type of shingle you want to use on your home? You can visit the company website to learn more about each of these IKO shingle lines and find helpful, genuine customer and contractor reviews right here.
IKO Dynasty vs. Cambridge: Choosing the Right Shingles
Although IKO offers an impressive range of shingle products for residential homes, we will discuss the similarities and differences between the Dynasty and Cambridge lines in-depth. This way, you can consider the pros and cons of each shingle type before choosing the right product line to place on your home.
So, how are the benefits and drawbacks of each shingle line quantified? We consider a few essential things, including:
- Weight or size
- Life span
- Nailing zone
- Nail pull through
- Granule loss
- Style versatility
- Company feedback response
All of the factors listed above must be considered together to accurately reflect each shingle line’s quality and reputation. So, with these few key things in mind, let’s continue diving deeper into some essential information and building specs for two of the best kinds of shingles IKO offers!
IKO Cambridge Shingles
As we mentioned earlier, the company itself claims that IKO Cambridge shingles are the most popular option for residential roofing. IKO Cambridge shingles even showed up in one of the top spots on Consumer Report’s list of Best Roofing Shingles, which is an excellent sign.
See what makes IKO Cambridge such a solid choice for your new roof:
- This traditional shingle is IKO’s most affordable shingle product and their top seller as well
- Offered in 15 hi-def colors
- Roofers consider the Cambridge line to be a solid, sturdy choice that can withstand mild weather and winds up to 110 mph
- Wind warranty offered up to 110 mph with the option to upgrade to 130 mph protection
- Shingles are large and true-to-size, so you get all-over coverage without any added cost
- No full or 10-year warranty offered
- Nailing zones can be inconsistent, making installation a bigger challenge
- Cambridge shingles weigh less than the IKO Dynasty line and other options, so you may see durability decrease over time with exposure to the elements
- Many roofers report excessive granule loss in the various IKO shingle lines. You’ll see barren patches on your roof’s surface as well as granule buildup in your gutters, which can lead your roof to fail more quickly than when using sturdier shingling
- Shingles were packaged with open ends, so the roofing material could be more easily damaged during rain or snow
IKO Dynasty Shingles
If the IKO Cambridge line isn’t piquing your interest, consider a higher-performance alternative: IKO Dynasty shingles. The IKO Dynasty line is regarded as a performance shingle product, so it provides a unique range of benefits (as well as drawbacks) compared to the Cambridge style.
Take a look at some pros and cons of IKO Dynasty shingles and decide if it’s the proper fit for your house:
- Heavy shingle weight ensures that these shingles won’t blow off with high winds (rated for winds up to 130 mph)
- A larger nailing zone size helps IKO Dynasty shingles stand up to gale-force winds as well
- The wide, straight cut nailing zone also allows for an effortless installation of IKO Dynasty shingles
- An impressive life span of 17 to 25 years
- IKO’s Armourzone technology protects against nail pull through in high winds, so your shingles stay put in any weather
- Offered in 15 unique colors and shades, so it’s easy to match your home’s siding and other exterior elements to boost curb appeal
- Shingle shades are vibrant and varied, giving your roof more dimension and texture
- IKO Dynasty shingle bundles offer significant coverage of your roof’s surface area, so you get more bang for your buck
- There had been some complaints about IKO Dynasty shingles in the past, but the brand has taken numerous steps to raise its manufacturing standards in recent years
- IKO Dynasty shingles come packaged with open ends, so if it rains, the product can get wet before it’s installed, which can pose a challenge during the application or even affect the durability of the shingles themselves
- Unfortunately, like other IKO shingle lines, IKO Dynasty shingles are known for exhibiting excessive granule loss, which you’ll notice in your gutters
The Final Verdict
Ultimately, the shingle product you choose will come down to cost, quality, color, and coverage (both on your roof and in terms of warranties, too). However, it’s necessary to consider your other needs, such as the location of your house and the typical weather conditions where you live.
If you’re looking for a sturdy and affordable shingle with a classic look, IKO Cambridge shingles are a solid choice. On the other hand, if you have your heart set on a higher-end look or a specific color combination, the IKO Dynasty line might better suit your preferences. Just be aware that these performance shingles come at a steeper price point than the traditional style.
With so many factors to consider, you’ll want to consult with a professional roofing company or contractor to keep everything straight. This will ensure you select the best shingle for your home and have little to no issues down the line.
Install New IKO Shingles Now!
Once you’ve done your research and determined which type of shingle will work best for your home, it’s time to start your roofing installation. Take advantage of the innovative services at Roofing Insights to search for quick, professional, and reliable care from a team of knowledgeable contractors you can trust.
Whether you need a few simple repairs or are ready for an entire roofing replacement, our experienced team is here to help improve your home today. We can help you understand which shingles will work best for your needs, match you with a reputable contractor, and start a roofing installation with IKO shinglåes right away.